Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas


My aunt Eleanor Jean Estep is enjoying Christmas in heaven. She passed on last week and yesterday Krystal, Hannah and I traveled on snowy roads to Lansing to be with my Dad and his brother Bill, and Aunt Eleanor and Uncle Dick's family. It was great to pay our respects and to meet up with people that I have had rare occasions to meet. I could recognize cousins but not but one or two of second cousins.
With my dad preaching in other states we did not get to family gatherings often enough to know who our relatives are. Even when I ministered in Owosso, I did not take the time to invest time into my dad's side of the family. I regret that. I think I have treated them with very little respect because they are different that our family. They do not attend churches that we attend. They drink and smoke or they did when I was a kid. Shame on me. As a "man of God" I have not loved my extended family as I should.
A couple of years ago we went to aunt Eleanor's home during Thanksgiving weekend. She was glad to meet my new son and my daughters. She welcomed us with open arms and we left with hopes that we would all return to visit again soon, but we did not.
I should get to know my relatives and be able to love them.
God gave his son a family to be apart of when he was born. Jesus loved his family and died for their sins too. I pray that God will use me to love my cousins even though we are and may even be farther from them in the future. It is my responsibility and I claim it this Christmas season. May God use me to be a blessing to them in 2009.

No comments: