Thursday, February 8, 2007

Who should I give it to?

Today I went to our local superstore and was browsing around and found a poster of the World Champion Indianapolis Colts. I thought that it would look great in Andrew's room. This last summer I bought him something for his room that represented his someday love for the Detroit Tigers and the poster would just add to his future favorite team collection.
Here is my dilemma now. The kid could care less for the items that I have purchased for his future joy. The one item from the Tigers is not even hung up in his room and he has not cried because of it yet.
My daughter Krystal is a fan of the Colts right now. Her birthday is this month. She loves the Spartans, and I do not think she cares very much for the Tigers. I could take this poster and give it to her instead.
Is it wrong to go and purchase an item for one child and then change one's mind and give it to another. Seinfeld, Raymond and the Tool man Taylor have not counseled me in this so I need some help from those who care to advise me on this very important decision.
What say you?

1 comment:

ejs said...

Well, this post has sat long enough without a response and I do not want you to get discouraged due to a lack of comments on only your second post, especially seeing the post was specifically requesting a response (even if it may have been tongue-in-cheek).

All that being said, I cannot tell you to whom the poster should go. I don't think it has anything to do with the individual you had in mind when you purchased the poster because, obviously, you are allowed to change your mind and you did not promise it to anyone. As you said, your son is not even old enough to really care.

But your desire is for him to "care", right? You want to encourage your daughter's "passions", as well, right? How about hanging a map of the world on their wall that represents the areas where, daily, children are dying by the thousands for lack of clean water, or how much food is consumed per capita in those countries v. what we consume in the United States? There are a number of posters which indicate areas of injustice or where religious persecution is occurring. You could even create one wall that has a poster representing the amount of money the NFL grosses (including what they pay out in fees and paychecks), and the other wall could represent the total budget of all the developing countries of the world (minus the debt owed to other countries).

See, I knew I should have waited for someone else to respond.